I have been really blessed these last few months and have been travelling a lot. It’s so important for me to stay healthy when I’m on the move and I love to make an effort. I notice though as much as I enjoy to be on the road and seeing new places and having new experiences, at times I feel my body can get out of balance if I don’t take care to keep it well hydrated and nourished. This is a challenge when on the road, as I am sure you have also experienced many times.
At airports and train stations we mostly find lots of bread type snacks, like pastries and sandwiches with cold meats or cheese, or fast food like french fries. Not ideal really as they can easily make you feel drained, bloated or even constipated and you want to feel energized and well to enjoy your trip!
Here are a few tips which I find essential and great way to stay healthy while you travel:
* Staying hydrated is so important and especially when using air conditioned air in planes, trains and hotels. Most of the water we end up buying when abroad is from unstable plastic small bottles which have probably been left in the sun far too long. I carry my own bottle and whenever I can I fill up with still water. Drink more than usual when you are on the move and I find it does make me feel much better.
* Carry some nuts, seeds, dried fruits. These are easy to keep in a plastic bag and will give you nutrients and energy. My favourite seeds are chia, sunflower and pumpkin, dates and goji berries or some other dried berries. They are a great mix to snack on and give you energy.
* Superfoods. I love my smoothies in the mornings so I really miss this start to my day, so when I’m on the road I look for some good superfood mix, ones that have spirulina, wheatgrass, kale powder in them. These can be mixed in a juice or coconut water and can taste great. If the strong green mixes or a little too much then some berry mixes with acai in them, these can be a little sweeter.
* I totally love chocolate and its important to have good organic dark chocolate with me, so I don’t rely on the local stores where you can only find the usual sugary, milky chocolate bars that really are so high in sugar and have no real chocolate in them. I will either buy a bar of organic dark chocolate, or carry cacao nibs which I can add to my food or nibble on, although these can sometimes be quite bitter.
* I always travel with a few tea bags. I like a good rooibos tea or tulsi with either rose or turmeric and usually have a few different ones to try.
At first it might feel a bit challenging to get organised and carry your own snacks and food, but once you feel the difference it makes you will just get more organised and have a stash at home ready to pick from like I do when you are about to travel. We are fortunate that we find more and more health food stores and restaurants all over the world, where we can make different and healthy choices about what we eat. It’s also an empowering feeling to know that you take care of yourself and keep well nourished wherever you are.
You may also notice that making these choices of self love also inspires the people around you to do the same. Make sure you allow yourself to enjoy the food delights and once you arrive at your destination find a great restaurant and treat yourself.
I try to follow an 80/20 rule on eating healthy as I feel a balance helps me keep relaxed and happy with the choices I make around food.
I hope you enjoy these tips, I am interested to know what you do for a healthy travel. Please feel free to share and leave your comments.
Love and thanks,